The Tomatis® Method: a Sensorineural auditory stimulation
The TOMATIS® Method improves motor, emotional and cognitive abilities, through music and language. It serves over 200,000 individuals a year worldwide. It offers children, adults, and seniors, one of the most innovative and advanced, neurosensory stimulation training to improve brain function.
Supported by a wealth of studies, the Tomatis® Method is commonly used to improve motor skills as well as emotional and cognitive abilities. The training sessions are customized by a Certified Tomatis® Practitioner with a background in education, therapy or medicine, based on an individualized assessment of the client’s needs.
Children and adults can follow their daily listening sessions in the comfort of their home or in the provider’s office through a unique portable device called TalksUp®.
Learning and communicating are processes that can seem easy as they are natural for most of us. But for one in ten people, it’s a daily battle. The ability to properly process sensory information is compromised. It is said in this case, that listening is disrupted.
In the processing of information, the ear plays a fundamental role since it is the main gateway to our brain. It picks up the surrounding sounds and those of our own voice, converts them into electrical stimuli, and transmits them to the brain which analyses them. More surprisingly, it also captures our movements and is heavily involved in coordination, balance and rhythm. It therefore has a vital function in daily life, whether through talk, to argue, to follow instructions, read, learn, memorize or simply to move.
When communication between the ear and the brain is blurred, our ability to interact with the outside world is compromised. The result is often a loss of self-confidence that will enhance in turn the difficulties of communication and learning.
It was sixty years ago that the French doctor Alfred Tomatis developed an educational program that aims to stimulate the brain through the auditory system in order to restore listening. By treating the music and the voice in a very particular way, the Tomatis® Method helps children and adults to improve their quality of listening.
A pioneer in the field of neuroscience, the Tomatis® Method is now practiced in more than 2,000 specialised centres offering personalized listening sessions through a unique technology called TalksUp®. An alternative educational program, the Tomatis® Method stimulates the brain effectively and naturally. Please note that it is a complementary approach to medical and traditional therapeutic treatments. In no way it should replace the work of a Speech therapist or Occupational Therapist or Teacher.
The Tomatis® Method operates through a single handheld device called TalksUp®. It has been specifically designed to treat music and the voice based on specific parameters. This tool has many features including “Electronic Gating®”. The switch is a unique non-invasive procedure that allows sound contrasts with the sudden transition from low frequency to high frequencies. This back and forth between low and high frequencies causes a major effort of adjustment from the ear and creates a stimulation of the brain.
After assessing your ability to listen, your Tomatis® professional establishes a program with sessions tailored to your profile.
During sessions called “passive”, clients are listening to music with a headset that transmits sound through earphones (air conduction) but also by bone vibration (bone conduction). During the “active” sessions, clients are reading and rehearsing exercises through the same headset, equipped with a microphone. This time it is the voice that is instantly processed to work on the auditory feedback loop
Fields of application:
The Tomatis® Method is for children and adults of all ages. It is a compliment to the work of the therapists and teachers, serving to multiply the effects of their work, especially in the following areas:
– Pervasive development disorders (eg autism, Asperger): the neural circuits connecting the ear to the brain contain specific neurons called “mirror neurons”. These mirror neurons play an important role in the construction of social cognition. This is the set of processes that enable us to attribute intentions and ideas to a person, and particularly understand is or her emotion state. But acting on these neural circuits, the Tomatis® Method improved the quality of interpersonal skills.
– Learning and Language disorders: The Tomatis® Method works with the plasticity of the neural pathways that decode and analyse sounds, as well as those of motor skills, balance and coordination. This method ca help children and adults develop coping strategies to deal with learning and language disorders.
– Attention disorders (ADHD, ADD): the Tomatis® method is based on the principles of transmitting contrasts in music designed to constantly surprise the brain. This keep the brain stimulated. The goal is to help the brain develop automatic mechanisms to detect change, which serves to reinforce attention.
– Motor disorders: through its direct interaction with the vestibular nerve, the Tomatis® Method stimulates the regulation of muscle tone and following verticality. This action improves laterality disorders. The Vestibular system plays an important role in the function of coordination and rhythm in n association with several other parts of the brain. As a result, the Tomatis® Method can effectively improve and change rhythm and coordination.
There are other fields of application associated with the Tomatis® Method. But they will only be available at the Osteoperformance Clinic in the future.
The results obtained with the TOMATIS® Method are durable. It is therefore often unnecessary to extend sessions beyond the initial period of 3 rounds of Tomatis (ie over 6 months). However, in some situations, it may be preferable to have additional listening sessions. You and your TOMATIS® professional re assess this need as you move through your program.
– Over 80% of the brain stimulation comes from the ear?
– Whether you are alert or asleep, you ear is constantly bombarding your brain with stimuli.
– From the fourth month of pregnancy, the foetus’ ear is the first fully functional organ.
– The ear not only receives sound but also determine your balance, rhythm and coordination: try covering an ear while walking and you will soon see that you suffer significant loss of balance.
The Tomatis® Method is a listening and speaking program. Like any educational approach, it must be done in a sustained, repeated way by alternating it with resting phases for proper assimilation. Each program is customized and defined by a certified Tomatis® professional, following a complete assessment of listening.
1) Initial consultation at the Osteoperformance Clinic, Wimbledon: please allow 2 hours
– Personal details / consent forms (10 mins)
– Parents of young children and autistic children visiting the Tomatis practitioner will have the opportunity to complete a preliminary online questionnaire specifically designed to fully understand each child’s profile. This test is called TED (Tomatis® Evaluation Database): 40 mins
– Qualified professionals may also administer a listening test with a device known as the TLTS (Tomatis Listening Test System). This test helps us to identify your listening potential and any possible dysfunctions: 30 mins
– Evaluation of Retained Primitive Reflexes: 10 mins
– Cranial Osteopathy evaluation and treatment: 20 to 30 mins
2) 6 months Home support package
The Osteoperformance Clinic offers an exclusive home support package to accompany the children who
– might be less compliant with the Tomatis Method at first (difficulty keeping the headphones on)
– dependant (physically and/or mentally)
– do not understand the instructions
There are 2 main packages that we offer for individuals – Silver and Gold.
A 2 hours consultation which includes a medical history taking, a Tomatis listening test, an evaluation of retained primitive reflexes and an Osteopathic evaluation.
A 6-month plan that includes 3 rounds of 14 days customised Tomatis program
1 additional round of Tomatis: £600
2 additional rounds of Tomatis: 2 x £550 = £1100
3 additional rounds of Tomatis: 3 x £500 = £1500
To book an appointment please contact: