Osteopaths are trained in many aspects of women’s health including complications that may result during and after pregnancy.
Osteopathic treatment can help your body to adapt to the different stages of your pregnancy. Typical symptoms during pregnancy result from the gradual changes in posture as the pregnancy advances and these include low back pain, pelvic pain, indigestion and joint swelling.
The treatment is a gentle, safe and effective way of dealing with stresses and strains that have been placed on your body due to the growing fetus.
Symptoms commonly treated in pregnancy
- PSD (pubic symphysis dysfunction) / groin pain
- Low back pain
- Shoulder and upper back tension
- Headaches and sinus problems
Pelvis imbalance or hip issues present before or during pregnancy might lead to a longer labour as it often affects the fetal presentation and descent of the baby. Osteopath will help you find a balance that will optimise delivery of your baby.
After the delivery of your baby, your body has to re-adapt and recover from your pregnancy and labour whilst dealing with the new stresses of caring for your newborn child. Common complains include:
- Lower back pain often due to long hours carrying your growing baby, bending over cots, carrying car seats or heavy nappy bags
- Mid back pain associated with poor postural positioning while feeding
It is important to ensure that your body regains good movement and function to ensure minimal problems for you in the future.